If you are selling your home during the summer, congratulations! Buyers are usually out in droves during this time of the year. However, this season can be fraught with home showing challenges, so a little bit of preparation now can make a huge difference when you receive an offer on your property. Here are some tips for having your home listed in the summer:
- Make your outdoor rooms shine! Whether you have a deck, patio, or some furniture on your lawn, make these outdoor rooms inviting during the season when they will be used the most. Investing in new chair cushions and some bright flowers for your outdoor spaces can go a long way. If you have outdoor lights, make sure all the light bulbs are in working order.
- Keep your air conditioning constant. There is nothing worse than having your air conditioner go out when your home is on the market with potential buyers coming in and out. Have your air conditioning unit serviced before your home goes on the market to help prevent this kind of sticky situation. Additionally, keep your home under 75 degrees, even when you are not at home. You never know when potential buyers are going to come through and you want their home viewing experience to be a good and comfortable one. Keep the air circulating with the fan that is built into your heating and cooling system if possible to keep stale air from building up.
- Contain the smells. Heat and humidity can cause smells to become amplified, turning off buyers. Clean out those cabinets, take out garbage twice a day, run citrus down the garbage disposal, keep your fridge cleaned of old and fragrant food, make sure your pets are clean, and your carpets are fresh.
- Water those plants! No one wants to see droopy, thirsty plants. Make sure you keep them watered. Since water can be scarce in the summer, you may need to invest in a timer that waters at night when there evaporation is not as much of an issue as it is during the day. If you have hanging baskets and planters, watering daily is critical.
- Mow the lawn. Twice a week when it is at peak growing season.
- Be on the lookout for pests – Wasps, mosquitoes, ants and other insects can be out in droves this time of year. Make sure you patrol your property at least a couple of times per week to be on the lookout for flare ups.
Summer listings can be very hot indeed! If you are planning on listing your home this summer, the time to prepare is now. Please give me a call at (206) 790-0081 or send an email to [email protected] to make an appointment with me to learn about the ins and outs of having your home listed this season.